San Diego County is a leader in water technology, and several local agencies across the region are already developing potable reuse plans and projects as part of their commitment to make the most of every drop.
Two major initiatives are under way, with more expected in coming years.
Pure Water San Diego is the City of San Diego’s phased, multi-year program that will provide one-third of the city’s water supply by 2035. The Pure Water Program uses proven technology to clean recycled water to produce safe, high-quality drinking water. It will also reduce the amount of treated wastewater that is discharged to the ocean by more than 50 percent.
The East County Advanced Water Purification Program will create a new, local, sustainable and drought-proof drinking water supply using state-of-the-art technology to meet 25-30 percent of East County’s current drinking water demands. The project is a partnership between Padre Dam Municipal Water District, Helix Water District, the County of San Diego and the City of El Cajon.
Additional water purification projects under consideration in the region include:
- Agricultural and Drinking Water Reuse Project (City of Escondido)
- Pure Water Oceanside (City of Oceanside)
- Potable Reuse Feasibility Study (San Dieguito Water District, Santa Fe Irrigation District, and San Elijo Joint Powers Authority)
- Camp Pendleton Groundwater Recharge Project
- 1 Carlsbad MWD
- 2 City of Del Mar
- 3 City of Escondido
- 4 Fallbrook Public Utility District
- 5 Helix Water District
- 6 Lakeside Water District
- 7 City of National City*
- 8 City of Oceanside
- 9 Olivenhain MWD
- 10 Otay Water District
- 11 Padre Dam MWD
- 12 Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base
- 13 City of Poway
- 14 Rainbow MWD
- 15 Ramona MWD
- 16 Rincon Del Diablo MWD
- 17 City of San Diego
- 18 San Dieguito Water District
- 19 Sante Fe Irrigation District
- 20 South Bay Irrigation District*
- 21 Vallecitos Water District
- 22 Valley Center MWD
- 23 Vista Irrigation District
- 24 Yuima MWD
* The Sweetwater Authority is a service organization for the City of National City and the South Bay Irrigation District.